A scrape is an area where the skin is rubbed off. It usually occurs after you fall or hit something. A scrape is often not serious. But it can be painful and may bleed slightly.
A scrape is often dirty. Even if you do not see dirt, the scrape can get infected. Take these steps to clean the area thoroughly.
- Wash your hands.
- Then wash the scrape thoroughly with mild soap and water.
- Large pieces of dirt or debris should be removed with tweezers. Clean the tweezers with soap and water before use.
- If available, apply antibiotic ointment.
- Apply a non-stick bandage. Change the bandage once or twice a day until the scrape has healed. If the scrape is very small, or on the face or scalp, you can let it air dry.
When to Contact a Medical Professional
Call your health care provider if:
- The scrape has dirt and other debris deep inside.
- The scrape is very large.
- The scrape looks like it may be infected. Signs of infection include warmth or red streaks at the injured site, pus, or a fever.
- You have not had a tetanus shot within 10 years.
Simon BC, Hern HG. Wound management principle. In: Marx JA, Hockberger RS, Walls RM, eds. Rosen's Emergency Medicine. 8th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier Saunders; 2014:chap 59.
Linda J. Vorvick, MD, Medical Director and Director of Didactic Curriculum, MEDEX Northwest Division of Physician Assistant Studies, Department of Family Medicine, UW Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Isla Ogilvie, PhD, and the A.D.A.M. Editorial team.
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997-
A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.